Friday 24 May 2013

Wrestling is fake, and so is "Hard-working Brit"

This is my fifth blog entry on the "hard working Brit" and I'll make it my last but I really could write a blog for each of the 27 paragraphs. The author tells us he isn't racist. Why does he feel the need to tell us this? Why does he think that all the rich (who is rich?) "avoid paying proper taxes"? Why does he believe that English should be the only language used in England? Are there no circumstances in which another language should be used? How does he feel about foreign travel? I presume he would not venture to a non-English speaking country. How does he feel about letting someone die because he isn't willing to listen to them in a foreign language?

I will copy out one last paragraph. "I know wrestling is fake and I don't waste my time watching or arguing about it. I believe if you don't like the way things are here, go back to where you came from and change your own country!" At least he knows wresting is fake, but does that discernment extend to other issues? Apparently not as the whole Facebook status has been plagiarised as I wrote in my recent blog "Hard-Working Brit is US Import". Could he be more specific about the definition of an immigrant so we all know where we stand? If a recent immigrant sees something wrong should he or she say nothing or live with an injustice? How is immigrant defined? Do I count as an immigrant if I have second or third of fourth generation relatives who were not born in this country? Where would I go back to?


In summary, I can't find anything that I agree with in the Facebook comment that originated in the US and now looks like it is British. It says nothing but gets people to like it and agree with it. It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons in which Marge Simpson addresses a large audience and can't get her views across to her audience until she starts talking nonsense and then she gets loud applause.


Change the world

1 comment:

  1. exactly! How many generations do you have to go back? I know there are Germans somewhere in my family...and somewhere there is Mediterranean blood...so...Just how many generations back? I count myself as British. But if we all trace our family trees back, we will eventually find "foreign" blood, as before 1066 we were constantly "invaded"

    ReplyDelete