Tuesday 1 January 2013

Sensational News

It is hard to remember now but 2012 brought us the worst drought since 1976. It is easier to remember the rain and the floods. According to the Guardian, 'April and June were the wettest such months in a record stretching back to 1766 – the only instance of two record-breaking months in a single year'. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2012/dec/30/weather-drought-flood

However we didn't have to face Hurricane Sandy which devastated the Caribbean and some US states. The Gulf Stream ensures that we don't have to face extremes of temperature. Our climate is definitely temperate. And my inspiration for the first blog of the year? The BBC's headline 'Crowds brave damp weather to see in 2013'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20875506 It seems that 'crowds across the UK have risked the damp weather'.

 If I had known this yesterday then I could have made a New Year's resolution to be brave and take risks in 2013. I didn't make this resolution but I am fairly sure that I will still go out in the rain this year. I didn't know how brave I was, or could it just be an editor's wish to sensationalise the news?

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment