Tuesday 20 November 2012

An ash tree disaster?

There are 80 million ash trees in the UK and it is estimated that 95% will be affected by the fungus Chalara fraxinea, I quite like ash trees. There are other trees with pinnate leaves that I happen to prefer like the rowan tree but the ash isn't bad. That is unless you live near them. They are huge with thousands of seeds that fall distinctively. Consequently those who live near ash trees think of them as weeds.

I used to live near them and my neighbours told me how bad they were. I didn't particularly agree but I did find a dozen of so small ash trees growing in my small garden and understood how they could be thought of as weeds. I didn't want any ash trees growing in my smallish garden and they were tough to take out.

So why are we importing ash trees? It can't be difficult for nurseries to grow them and we have 80 million already. Everything I read about ash trees tells me that we are facing a disaster. It can't be that bad can it?

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment