Sunday 28 October 2012

Schumacher would have been proud

I could have written this blog a few months ago as I had noticed a new pelican crossing in Galgate, just south of Lancaster. I saw it again today as I drove past it. There is a pub called The Plough on one side of the road and four houses on the other. It may well be the case that the siting of the lights is significant. Well it is for me because I just can't see how it can be used unless you happen to live in those four houses. Everyone else can cross the road at the nearby traffic lights.

I know how difficult it is to get any money out of the County Council for any adaption to the road. Every change is so expensive and we live in austere times. A few years ago I put forward a petition to have a roundabout at the junction of Broadway and the promenade in Morecambe. It would really help traffic flow in the area and would have limited ongoing costs as compared to lights that need an electrical supply with their subsequent costs for their use and for their maintenance. Schumacher (see last blog) would have been proud.

I don't see any benefit in running cars in traffic jams, whether it is trying to get to the M6 from Morecambe or whether it is trying to get onto the prom. It seemed to me that the County Council were not looking at traffic management but had a reactive policy of accident prevention. We need a broader outlook.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment