Sunday 26 December 2010

Let's slow down

On Monday I wrote about the devastation caused by the weather according to one reporter. My view is that we need to put things in perspective and a delay in a journey of an hour or two is not particularly devastating. On Wednesday one of my sons came home for Christmas. He made the journey from Chester to Morecambe and it took him an hour or so longer than usual. He told me that there were scenes of panic when a slight delay was announced and when one train was five minutes late a long queue developed to ask why.

When I was in London a couple of weeks ago I used the Underground and you stand on the right on the escalators in order to let people walk up them. Most people were in a rush! I don't know why because I never had to wait more than five minutes for a train. They were running for the sake of running.

If these examples are commonplace then I think we all need to relax a little more. I am writing this on Christmas Day, one of the quieter days of the year. Maybe Christmas can remind us to take our time.

Change the world

1 comment:

  1. Maybe if everyone took a more relaxed attitude...maybe the world would be more bearable?
    Rushing, in my experience, achieves NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete