Monday 22 November 2010

The Big Society

It's surprising where you can get your political inspiration. A couple of years ago I was painting the front of my house making it look nice not for me but for people who look at the house. I came to realise the importance of having a seafront in Morecambe that was not spoiled by bad planning. There are still people who sail past the prom even if there are only specific times of day when they can do this.

Yesterday I was clearing leaves and rubbish in the garden and I realised what David Cameron meant by the big society. I was picking up other peoples leaves and rubbish. I was putting them in the appropriate bin so that the council could make some money in recycling. The leaves could have stayed there. They could have blown down the drains and blocked them. Then we would have had flooding and the cost would have been picked up by individuals. In fact I did notice a lot of flooding in Lancaster last time we had heavy rain.

We can also save on maintenance for our footpaths. I walked along (I use the term loosely) this footpath yesterday (see photo). We can save on maintenance staff, on street cleaners, we can save money on unblocking drains and get everyone to work for the council without pay so that recycling makes money for the big society. You may have guessed that I'm not a fan.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment