Monday 17 May 2010

Support for coalition

Liberal Democrats have "overwhelmingly" backed the coalition with the Conservatives at the special conference in Birmingham. I am pleased at that because if I had been there I would have voted with the majority. I was invited and I have been to conferences in the past but I am not telling you about my invitation because I want to feel important but to let you know about the level of democracy within the party.

While Liberal Democrat MPs were meeting last week to decide on whether to form a deal with the Conservatives, their MPs were wondering what was happening. There are many differences between the parties but if we get even a few of our policies implemented then that must be a good thing. It's a pity Charles Kennedy could not bring himself to vote for the deal. I haven't read the details as to why this is the case but perhaps Charles could be persuaded to change his mind.

Change the world

1 comment:

  1. I was initially very skeptical about the coalition and the compromises made on proportional representation in the House of Commons. On the blog and twitter sphere there had been a lot of dismay against the decision, and I was starting to side with them.

    However, and this will sound so cheesy, by the end of the conference I found that I DO agree with Nick. Being given a genuine say at the Special Conference- something none of the other parties would have done- reminded me why I joined the Lib Dems in the first place. And I fully trust Nick and his team did what they could to try and make Britain better.

    ReplyDelete