Thursday 15 April 2010

Reacting to insults

The Liberal Democrats unveiled their manifesto yesterday but it was not to universal acclaim. David Cameron was telling the cameras that liberal voters should support him. You can see from my daily blogs that I spend a lot of time criticising the Tory position. There are plenty of reasons why liberal voters should vote for the Liberal Democrats.

Gordon Brown still thinks we are called the Liberal Party. This may be a sign of ignorance if he is unaware of the Party's name but I don't think that this is the case. I think it is more likely that he calls the party by a name that changed in 1988 because he thinks it is an insult. Maybe he is ignorant and insulting but I would give him the benefit of the doubt and just call him insulting.

Later on Newsnight Peter Hain calls us Liberals a few times. Is this a central dictat in Labour circles that we should not be called by our official title? There is not usually a reaction from the Liberal Democrats but I was one of those who voted for the name change. I thought it was fairly easy to appreciate the new name but maybe I am missing something and I will get a comment about how I should not be reacting to insults.

Change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment