Wednesday 3 March 2010

Upholding the wealth divide

I have never thought that it was the role of government to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. I am not keen on tax loopholes because, as the name suggests, it is an anomaly in the system that allows the rich to get richer and loopholes need closing. However if there is a method to avoid tax then I don’t blame individuals for doing so.

If you have enough money accountants may advise you to live abroad. The Rolling Stones are famous for paying little tax. Jack Walker is famous for making millions and avoiding the tax man but then passing money over to Blackburn Rovers. They put this statue up to him outside Ewood Park as he was much loved in this area of Lancashire. He did have to live abroad to hold on to his wealth but it didn’t really matter that he influenced the English football results. The point is that if there are loopholes and the rich pay less tax then proportionally the poor pay more. I am sure that Robin Hood would not approve of this sort of thing.

You may have guessed that I am going to mention Lord Ashcroft. I am not concerned that he is a non-dom. If I had millions I might choose to live abroad and pass on my money as I see fit rather than pass it to the government. I do have concerns for political pary funding in that the people who pay will want something in return. If the trade unions want to sponsor an MP then they will want something in return. If big businesses fund the Conservatives then what are they getting?

It might be alright if voters know who is pulling the strings but we tend to get headlines rather than detail. Voters should know who is paying the piper. I have heard that Lord Ashcroft is passionate about his politics. Well if he is really passionate about governing Britain (which involves closing tax loopholes) then this is much more important than football and he should live here and live within the laws which he hopes to administer.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment