Sunday 24 January 2010

Morecambe Link Road

I read in yesterday's Lancashire Evening Post that a second public inquiry is to be held into the Morecambe link road to the M6. The plans for this road have been dragging on for years but recently we have become the priority for Lancashire County Council. I am not surprised about this as I certainly agree with a comment that I heard a couple of years ago that traffic between Morecambe and Lancaster must be the worst outside London. However, since the congestion charge came in then we must have the worst traffic.

I hope that this inquiry is just part of the due process of road building because Morecambe and Heysham and many surrounding areas are desperate for this road. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about it to the local paper and I'll let you read that letter tomorrow. I haven't seen any reply to it yet but there is a letter writing team that opposes the link. I expect a concerted effort from them following this announcement. Let's see what happens.

Change the world

3 comments:

  1. Most of the link road opposers don't live in Morecambe, so they don't have the problem of getting into Lancaster,and many live a short drive away from the motorway. From Morecambe it takes at least 15 minutes to get to the motorway,that's with all the traffic lights on green and no other traffic on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, sadly it is still London that is more congested. The Congestion Charge has not reduced congestion. It lowered, slightly for a while, the number of vehicles entering, but congestion as measured by road speeds is still at a very similar level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both comments and apologies to London. I have not been to London for some time but I am going in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know which I think is worst for traffic jams.

    ReplyDelete