Thursday 15 October 2009

Promote public transport

I don't know if ambulances may use bus lanes. I do know when they are speeding and one overtook me in the bus lane a couple of evenings ago. I think that our sense of obeying the rules of the road is a little vague. Why do we make cars that go faster than 70mph? I know the answer is that people can drive faster on Autobahns or on private land but we don't.

There are people who accidentally exceed speed limits but there are people who abuse the privilege of driving. We have the technology so why don't we have the political will to stop these drivers? The driving lobby is powerful but if we want to promote more economical and environmentally friendly methods of transport then we really have to change hearts and minds and we will onlyh do this when it is cheaper for individuals to travel by public transport.

Car sharing is one answer that would make it less likely for us to convert to public transport but if we are car sharing then we are well on the way to saving the earth. Wouldn't it be nice to think that public transport was cheaper than two people travelling by car to the same destination. I think we have a long way to go.

Change the world

1 comment:

  1. The best way to discourage car use is live in Morecambe and try to get in and out of Lancaster on a Saturday, late morning onwards. By the time you have sat in the traffic, found somewhere to park, done your shopping and sat in the traffic back again you lose heart. I have found unless I want a lot of shopping using the bus is better. It stops not far from where I live, a Bay rider ticket is around £4.10, and you can use it as many times as you want during the day within the Bay area. Even the train is competitively priced, if you are within easy reach of the station.
    I don't use my car much since I have moved to Morecmbe, walking whenever possible. It's free, healthier and you can appreciate our lovely scenery if you walk along the prom. Things escape your notice in a car that you are aware of when walking.

    ReplyDelete