Thursday 10 September 2009

When to break preservation orders

I used to live in Great Harwood and my house backed onto a water treatment centre. It became a small housing estate while I lived there. I saw the houses being built and I saw trees come down that had preservation orders on them. It seemed that they were too close to the houses but the trees had been there a lot longer than the houses. I don't know if the builders suffered any reprimand for breaking this prevention order but I didn't hear about it.

This week I spoke to someone whose house backs onto the land where Morecambe Football Club are building their new ground. It seems that a similar process is occuring. Trees have preservation orders and trees are coming down. In this case it may be much more important to have a screen because there will be floodlights at the ground as well as strong lights for the training area which will be even nearer to the houses.

I knew the details of the preservation orders in Great Harwood because they were sent to me by Hyndburn Council. I don't know the details here but at the very least it is poor communication when local residents are thinking that they will have bright lights and noise next to them. There may be an easy answer to the trees but I can't think of an easy answer to the lack of communication.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment